Friday, October 31, 2008

sillent night . . . at least for the moment

Mark has been giving me grief (and perhaps rightly so) because I've already started listening to Christmas music. In my defense, I've only played it in my car, at work when I'm alone, and just once in the kitchen. Really.

Tonight, however, I'm wishing I had the spooky sounds CD from the Target dollar section that Emily told me about. Sarah is having a slumber party at our house with three of her friends. At present I'm enjoying a blissfully silent night, as they're all out trick-or-treating (their first time alone--sans parents) and we've only had three--make that four--groups come to our door.

In an effort to get the girls to eat something "healthy" (a.k.a. non-sugar) before leaving, I made what I thought would be very cute Mummy Dogs that I saw in a magazine. Hmm. I'm reminded of some Martha Stewart bug cupcakes that Jessie made for Bella's birthday one year. Somehow they didn't quite look as good as they did in the picture. Their faces were a bit bulbous, and the cheese bubbled out, resulting in a sort of tumorous effect. They're scary, all right!

At least the paperware was really cute! Target, of course.

I was happy with the way Sarah's costume turned out, but am partially blaming it for my lack of blogging this week. She was a fairytale princess in deep midnight blue satin. My friend Linda gave me the fabric several years ago, so I only had to buy trim and a 99 cent pattern! Sarah also got to wear it to a ward Halloween party last night at church.


So for now, I'm enjoying the silent night. Once they return to sort their loot, play games, watch movies, and giggle into the night, I will likely wish I was away in a manger somewhere, or far, far, away on Judea's Plains. And by tomorrow morning, after I've fed them all breakfast and their parents come to pick them up, you'll be hearing Joy to the World! (Maybe then I'll have time to catch up on a few other posts that have been floating around in my head.)

10 comments:

paws said...

Very cute. I must confess I've listened to Christmas music a few times myself.

Susan said...

I can relate on so many levels of this post!

First of all, Jeff and I went to a new supplier in NYC today to find the 12' trees for the Penthouse Christmas setup. We both rejoiced when they were playing The Carpenters Christmas album! We both commented that we we're really ready for the Christmas music to work by and that we would have to make sure that we took our own favorites to the set-ups!! (I've played some Christmas music in the store one time......) I'm always ready and can sometimes be found guilty of playing it far AFTER Christmas! Oh dee. (And tell Mark that our first Christmas set-up for a residential client is week afer next!!)

That costume is way too cute and obviously, being the daughter of a costume designer has advantages!!! I was never good at costumes and still hate thinking of them.....needless to say, I was thrilled when Miles had absolutely NO interest in such a silly event! Sarah must have been the queen of the trick-or-treaters! Good work..(if not a bit extreme!) I guess I wouldn't have expected anything less!

Your verbal descriptions and labels are way too entertaining and had me chuckling through the entire post!Great photos too! I especially liked the girls in back of the Halloween pumpkins. I didn't even get mine out this year...you have the perfect place for them.

Lastly, I, like you, have far too many post ideas back-logged and will most likely have to give them up for lack of time and season! What's a person/mother/designer/wife/office manager/boss/grandmother/blogger to do????

I say supply ear plugs for all and turn up the volume! 'Tis the season!

Susan said...

BTW, Crest White Strips had a new commercial that just aired using "I'll be home for Christmas" as its theme song!!

Sweet!

charlotte said...

I am ready for Christmas music for sure! Because Christmas music means that before long, I'll be coming home!! I love Sarah's costume--she looks great! And have fun with the slumber party girls. (Why is it called a "slumber" party anyway? No slumbering ever goes on.) Happy Halloween!

Serin said...

I am NOT looking forward to the slumber party days. We've had one sleepover with a cousin that's Grant's age and I pretty much have sworn them off.

I loved the post and the pictures. The only Christmas music I hace listened to lately features "paws", and I listen to that year round. :)

Jill said...

I'm never ready for Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving, but then I listen to it constantly through New Years.

Sarah's costume is stunning! I hope she knows how lucky she is to have a dedicated, seamstress mom like you!

emily said...

Sarah's costume is SOO cute! I love seeing the pictures of the house and all the decorations! The Mummy Dogs just make me laugh, though. My favorite part is their faces. Haha. Nice work, Mom. I only wish I were there to spend the silent night with you. :( I'll have to call you tomorrow to tell you about the slight fiasco that was our party. :)

michelle said...

Oh, man! I wish I were a member of the Varsity Sewing Team! What a beautiful costume. I'm sure every girl wants to wear something as beautiful as that.

You are a way nice mom to do sleepovers. We tried one once, years ago, and have pretty much sworn off. Now we have grandparent/cousin sleepovers only. I'm not a fun mom.

Your Halloween table is a sight for sore eyes. Ditto the row of pumpkins. That first photo made me smile -- we have that same little skeleton guy!

Gena said...

Sarah's dress turned out beautifully, but then from you I would expect no less! We only had our doorbell ring three times. I had hoped for more because we are intensely training Charlie not to go nuts when anyone comes to our door. I wish I'd done something simpler for our dinner but we ended up with the Elders at the last hour and we tried to make it more festive. I love Wilton paste food coloring!

Diana said...

I love Sarah's costume she looks beautiful.
What a crazy day!
If you want your letter is H