Here are a few October highlights I don't want to miss documenting:
- My mother's 82nd birthday on October 5th. For a beautiful tribute to her, see this post on Michelle's blog. Her birthday fell on Conference weekend so we got to spend a good deal of it together doing one of our favorite things! We also went shopping together on Friday and Mom bought a darling pair of black boots and a cute outfit at Ann Taylor Loft. What 82-year-old do you know who has a cuter wardrobe than you do? For Sunday's birthday dinner I made a good Rachel Ray pasta recipe with talapia (a good substitute for halibut, which I can't afford), and mom made this delicious caramel bundt cake. It has a burnt sugar syrup (made with cream) in the cake itself, which is also drizzled as a glaze onto the warm cake, and also folded into the whipped cream you serve in a dollop on top of each slice. I ask, what 82-year-old wears cute black boots and makes her own homemade birthday cake!
- John had his first high school choir concert on October 9th and wore a tuxedo for the first time. He's a handsome one, that John--all 6' 2" of him! We love his choir and piano teachers, pictured with us. John sings Bass II and seems to really enjoy choir. I think he's finding that boys in choir make a lot of friends who are girls, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
- On the evening of the 10th, while I painted in her room, Sarah went with her friend Hailey to the school Sock Hop. It was sort of a last-minute decision to go and luckily I just happened to have a cute poodle skirt hanging in John's closet. She loves this one because the poodle on it looks like my dad's dog, Tyrone.
- That same weekend, my mom made two chocolate pies for Mark to take to work for his co-workers. Thankfully he brought some home, as this is my most favorite food in the entire world, for real. Can you blame me?
- On the 15th Sarah had track and field day at school. John happened to have early release that day, so he came with me to meet Sarah for lunch. It's a good thing he came, since I had to park far away and haul not only lunch but chairs. Sarah is the closest thing to an athlete we have in our family!
- And finally, Mark pulled up Sarah's carpet last night, only to find that the floor looks like leopard print. Yes, leopard print. The carpet pad was one of those composite foam-o'-many colors kind, and it had black, yes BLACK specs in it that stuck in tar-like spots all over the hardwood. As I write this, Mark is on his hands and knees scraping and washing the floor. Thankfully, it's coming up, but has put a bit of a crimp in our project.


9 comments:
So I love this post, because it gives me such a good taste of home. :) I hate missing birthdays. I think John looks dang good in a tux. I think Sarah is one cute sock-hopper. I think that it's awesome Dad is de-leopard-printing the floor. Love you. Miss you. :)
Oh, Grandma's cake looks and sounds delicious! I think I'm going to need that recipe. And I certainly don't know another 82-year-old with an enviable wardrobe and also makes her own birthday cake. What a cute sp of the two of you! Aren't you glad you started a blog?
John is 6'2"!! Holy cow. He definitely looks stylin' in his tux, and meeting girls is just another good reason to be in choir.
Sarah is way cute in her sock hop attire. How many people can say that have a cute poodle skirt on hand for emergency use?
I love love love that chocolate pie as well. (Although for me it's a tie with coconut cream for my favorite food.)
Just think how great Sarah's hardwood floor will look once its leopard spots are gone!
Your mother is super stylish for any age, but she makes 82 looks especially great!
That burnt sugar syrup bundt cake looks and sounds like something I would love. I also love her chocolate pie. I have made it several times and have also had it at Michelle's house, I love it.
How freaky to have a son that's 6'2, I'm still adjusting to my son getting tall enough to start thinking about being taller than me.
You just happened to have a poodle skirt in the closet?! You're a wonder, she looks darling.
The speckled floor is definitely interesting, but just about anything beats old carpet right?
Charlotte has always been the cat's meow and I can see her shopping at Ann Taylor Loft forever! Sarah's floor will totally be worth all the hard work. As I sit looking at that last sentence I felt overwhelmed at the thought of the work you and Mark had to put in to it! And you've got to tell people how some of the hotties of the Ralston Valley choir were ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over the tall boy in the Wheat Ridge choir and my Emily realized it was John they were talking about, the sweet kid she's known since they were both in diapers!
Again, we love you!!!!
I too feel grateful for this taste of home. I've been missing home this week, and miss being a part of these things. I remember with a pang of sadness going to field day with you last year, complete with Senor Burritos. Thanks for this post. :) I love you all so much!
Oh, and John is such a stud! I love how much he's growing up. I miss him a lot too. :(
Sarah looks too cute! Only you could whip out an adorable sock-hop outfit at the last minute!
Emily's right, John is such a stud! Haha and he is starting to realize the benifits of being in choir with a bunch of girls.
The cake and pie look SO yummy! Your mommy is adorable! I'll always remember Emily borrowing her clothes haha. Not many people can do that!
Oh and by the way, thanks to your amazing spud-nuts recipe, Hannah, Emily Williams and I are having our very own donut night soon! Yay!
I feel a bit blue at not being there as well, Emily! John is stylin okay,but it's hard to outrank that star potential in Sarah!! Now that's what I cann movie star photo!
Mom looks way too cute and you too of course. I also would like the have the recipe for the cake. Mom has been telling me about it!
On a personal note, Jackie and I just rolled into Charleston and we were reminising about the time you, Fred and I stayed here with a total of 3 room changes for various reasons, rehemmed $8000.00 draperies in the lobby and worked 16 hour days! Missing you......
I would love to meet your mom I have heard such beautiful things about her from Jessie, and Charlotte.
She reminds me a lot of my Grandma Field(without the style) but just the joy they experience in life and how active they are, aNd their wisdom. My Grandma Field died almost 9 years ago I can't believe she's been gone that long, it's nice to read about your Mom and can be reminded of her a little bit.
That cake looks oh so good!
Post a Comment