Tuesday, October 14, 2008

paint progression

Although Sarah's room still looks a bit like a Bronco zone (for those non-Colorado readers, the Denver Broncos' team colors are orange and blue), we are making progress. The carpet isn't up yet but the walls, ceiling, doors, and most of the trim are painted--hooray! And yes, Serin, the ceiling really is orange, too. That stupid hole in the wall above the shelf used to have a hideous metal light fixture attached to it. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to have a light fixture 18" from the ceiling? I've got to find an electrical plate with which to cover the hole (or perhaps a cute piece of art to lean on the shelf).

My dad built me this shelf that I brought from our former house. It has been hanging from our garage rafters for over four years and I am so happy to finally give it a place inside. I got a little teary-eyed when I read this forgotten inscription on the back:

My dad always signs his finished work on the back in a black Sharpie marker. Finding this one made me want to record the one on the bottom of my solid hard-rock maple butcher block that he made me almost 23 years ago, the first Christmas I was married:

I will always love those little forgotten love notes from my dad. Mark had to saw off about 7" from the end of the shelf to make it fit in the room. I made him pose for this manly shot with a power tool--he's my man!

The next step is to pull up the carpet, but having had a headache in some form or other for the past several days, I just wasn't up to tackling it myself this afternoon. Mark said he would take it on tomorrow.

And I just couldn't let my favorite painting shoes go undocumented. They're an old, old pair of Dansko clogs that are SO comfortable and have seen me through more projects that I can count--cross-country projects in fact, ranging from Colorado to Pennsylvania to South Carolina!

Hopefully by next week at this time Sarah will be once again sleeping in her own room and I can start putting the house back to normal. It's always amazing to me when I paint a room in the house how it seems to throw everything into chaos. I'm ready for the chaos to end.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Looking good! Sorry I never called with the trim color we selected, I trust you found it! (Cream of sorts). Everyone, just wait until the pink goes into the equation and then you will get the whole picture!!

(If the pink doesn't come through, you could always add a pair of glowing bronco eyes for a spooky effect!)

That is some power tool I must say! What is that??? I had another appointment today and had a startled client when I told them to paint the ceiling the same color! I used to be in the minority with this theory, but does't anyone watch those foolish TV design shows???? It's all the rage, now!

I'll be waiting to see the end result.

BTW, I got a new haircut and color tonight and I think my new color would blend right in......yikes, I'm afraid I want to stay home for a few months until it fades. No kidding, sadly. And, it's way short......a really bad combo! I don't think I have the nerve to try a self portrait under the circumstances. That could be worse than a headache! (Not to minimize headaches).

Send me the lime bar recipe before midnight!!!

Gena said...

I didn't know you had a "saws all"! How cool are you? And painting the ceiling the same color is wonderful... I've done it for years and after people get over the shock of seeing it they have to admit it looks great. Denise, I would be more than happy to make some glowing red eyes, Bronco room or not. Maybe it would be an incentive for Sarah to please her mother in order for them not be turned on at night? Thank you for being a Goddess of Sewing, my celestial role model and friend. Smooch!

paws said...

Even though my mom insists that painting the ceiling makes the room look smaller, I think if you're going to live in a pumpkin, you may as well go whole hog! Perhaps surprisingly, I really like the color.

michelle said...

People are often surprised when we paint our ceilings the same as the walls. It's so standard to me, I think it looks weird when people have white ceilings!

I have one of those love notes, too! Underneath my maple nursing stool that Grandpa made me. I am still using it in Eva's room with the rocker, and every now and then it gets turned over. It makes me smile every time I see it. I'm glad you brought your shelf with you.

April said...

Those notes from you dad made me tear up too! How sweet.
Mark with the power tool, awesome...
Reed and I have ripped up many a carpeted floors, I always love the way it looks after!

thepostproducer said...

Sarah's room is looking so cute! I bet you are going to be so happy when everythings is done and in its place again! That always happens to me too. I have one project and then everything else becomes a mess and Im left with chaos plus one beautiful thing haha. But knowing you, everything will be its normal beautiful self in no time!

And I love those notes from your dad! What a sweet idea! :)I love things those sort of little treasures that you foret about and then find years later!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh the paint looks fabulous....soooo nice and warm....wow...can't wait tosee the finished result. how cool too to have a shelf put inplace after a long time waiting....nothing like anticipation for something that you have been looking forward to

Bond Girl 007 said...

cute shoes....wellworn

Jill said...

How glorious to be able to paint and redecorate like that. I have never known that joy, since we've always been lowly renters. (Note to self: Do not dwell, do not dwell, do not dwell on this fact.)

It's so sweet that your dad signs his projects, I love that!

Why am I not surprised that you have special "project" shoes?

charlotte said...

The room is looking great! And it's just weird to me to think of a room without the ceiling painted the same color, because it just looks so Shamtastic. Dad looks quite manly with his power tool, and I love seeing Grandpa's handwriting on the shelf and butcher block. Danskos are the most Shamazing shoes ever.

Diana said...

Wow Sarah's room looks great. How sweet of your Dad to leave nice messages on it's finished products I should get Lou to start doing that.