Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah's Big Day

"As Sarah fell--exhausted--into bed tonight, she told me, "Mom, this is the best birthday I've ever had!" I'm pretty sure she says that every year, but I'm glad that the day lived up to her high expectations. She looks forward to her birthday, I think, more than Christmas and sometimes I wonder if it can really live up to all the hype. She did a better job this year, however, of pacing her fun throughout the day instead of opening all her gifts, eating all her treats, and spending all her birthday money (a staple from her Canadian grandpa) within the first ten minutes.

She was pretty excited to get a Razor scooter, as she had been pining for one for some time now. This was a little more of a "grown up" birthday for her, as many of the things she received are items for her forthcoming bedroom re-d0 (can it really be called a re-do if it has never been done in the first place?). Anyway, I was wondering if she would miss the usual gifts of Barbies, stuffed animals and the like, but she was thrilled with it all.

I was missing her older sisters again when I felt their absense at the birthday dinner table (especially when it came time to sing the rousing Petersen birthday song), but as I watched Sarah throughout the day I felt the comforting reassurance that I still have a little girl in the house--one who, though she now like things like room decor for her birthday, will still be my little girl for a little while longer.

Happy birthday, sweet Sarah!

P.S.: I have the cutest video that I tried to post of the aforementioned birthday song, but was unsuccessful in my attempt to upload. . . .




7 comments:

charlotte said...

I'm glad it was a good day! Missing birthdays is one of the hardest things about being away--that's one of the things that induces the most homesickness.

Happy birthday, Sarah! I'm glad it was, yet again, you best birthday ever :)

emily said...

I'm so glad that you all had a fun day. I was sad that I wasn't there to celebrate. I love that Sarah's growing up, and that she had a great day. You look so pretty in your self portrait. I miss you and love you all!

Jill said...

Your self-portrait with Sarah is darling! (I feel like a proud mother hen now as I read your blog and see you taking self-portraits!)

I'm glad Sarah loved her birthday, it's a blessing to feel so loved and have such a special day.

michelle said...

Hooray for the best birthday ever! It's hard not to look forward to birthdays in our family... I love seeing my kids want more grown-up types of gifts, it's such a snapshot of what they're like at any given time.

Paula said...

I was amazed at how much Sarah looks like Charlotte in the first picture!

thepostproducer said...

I'm glad you guys all had so much fun! Sarah looks really happy in her pictures! I hope her room renovations go smoothly and quickly for you guys!

Bond Girl 007 said...

cute cute spt!