Monday, September 15, 2008

living in her wake

I often marvel at my good fortune in having Susan for my sister. How is that I, of all people, was chosen to share a common gene pool with her--only the most talented, generous, ingenious, and creative person I have ever known! Anything unusual, trendy, beautiful, or colorful in my house or wardrobe I can pretty much chalk up to her uncommon generosity and/or brilliantly creative mind.
She has her own interior design firm and retail store in Pennsylvania (well worth the trip, if you're ever near Yardley, PA) and occasionally does projects for out-of-state clients. In the past she has hired me to help out with projects in her home state, as well as in Charleston, SC, Nantucket, MA, and most recently my home town of Lakewood, CO.

Susan's visits, however, are not what you'd call relaxing for her. Last week we worked nearly 30 hours in three days, one night working late and then having a slumber party. Somehow, working with Susan doesn't seem so much like work--it's just fun to spend time together and learn from her (and she pays generously--or gets her clients to, anyway). Here's a sample of one of the rooms she's putting together for her client's daughter:
I want this polka-dotted rug for Emily's dorm room!

I'm always sad when it's time to part ways--even though I may be a little tired. Living in Susan's wake is one good place to be.


10 comments:

Jill said...

That's a beautiful self-portrait of the two of you!

I think being in Susan's wake is a fabulous place to be, I'm always delighted when I pop up on her radar somehow.

She is so talented, energetic and beautiful and she does it all in high heels...how is this possible?

You realize you're all of those things too right?

michelle said...

Hear, hear!

I just want to say ditto to Jill's comment! I love the self-portrait. Mom is an amazing person, and I feel fortunate to live in her wake as well.
And in yours.

Diana said...

I love that picture of you and Susan. Both of you are amazing women.

Susan said...

Do you mind if I copy this to a whole handful of either difficult clients or "the enemy"?!! You're too kind and there isn't a project manager I would rather have than you, my dearest and most adorable,talented and fun sister!

I love the picture of us and I love you.

FTaylor said...

I also love the photo and comments!!
I relate to all your comments about Susan. It has been 40 years now (as of last week) that I have enjoyed the ride!! She is all that you described...It is a fun place to be....

charlotte said...

Amen to all said! I love that self portrait :)

charlotte said...

PS I love your new profile picture!

Susan said...

Ditto on the new profile picture! I'm working on one......like our brother Lee once said, "wait! I have to go pick out a pose" when we were just kids and having a family picture snapped!

You're too cute.

emily said...

You both look so beautiful in this picture! I love you both and am grateful to have the examples of such wonderful women in my life.

And I couldn't agree more on that rug. ;) Love you!

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh wow...I am in awe of Michelle's mum. And your family is just beautiful I think. Jill has shared things along the years, but now it is beautiful to put faces to people and places.