I couldn't wait another day. The bananas I had been saving had reached a stage of blackness that could be ignored no longer, and I was yearning to use the cute Halloween mixing bowl Susan brought me on her last visit. It was time to make Banana Chocolate Chip Bars.
An after-school staple in our home for years, I admit I get some odd measure of comfort in making these--perhaps because I look forward to the kids' expressions of delight, or maybe it's the happy smell their baking leaves in my kitchen, or quite possibly it's just because I like to eat the edges.
Of course, licking the bowl could be another reason I like to make them.
Here's the recipe, should you have some black bananas that need a good home, or if you just want good batter to eat:
Denise's Banana Chocolate Chip Bars
- 3/4 cup Land o' Lakes margarine (it really is the best, I promise)
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 2 c. flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- mini chocolate chips, to taste
Cream margarine, sugars, and vanilla; add egg and bananas. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20 - 25 minute at 350 degrees.


10 comments:
Favorite after-school treat ever. I've been craving them. I bought bananas just to let them get brown. I covet the mixing bowl.
YUM! The smell of banana chocolate chip bars is truly the best aroma to greet the senses after school. Mmm. That and an Aromatic Elixir filled hug, of course. I love you so much!
I DO have some black bananas that need a good home! I was thinking of making banana bread or banana chocolate-chip muffins tomorrow, but I think I'll try these instead!
(could your girls' comments on your blog be any cuter?)
I'm sure the lingering smell of such freshly-baked goodness makes everyone who comes to your house happy!
Whenever I buy bananas they end up black. It always seems like such a good idea to buy them, but eating them? Not so much, I guess.
Have you seem those baking pans that create more than 4 sets of edges?
Four sets of edges?? This sounds too good to be true! Where, pray tell, where?
Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Edge-Nonstick-Brownie-Pan/dp/B000MMK448
The dividers create more edgy pieces.
Those sound so good. I want to go buy bananas and let them go black just to make those bars.
I love that bowl Susan got you she has such good taste.
Thank you for posting the recipe! I vote that you post more of your amazing repipes (pretty much anything that comes out of your kitchen or your mothers...) on your blog, please!!! (As if you don't have a million other things to do.. :))
WAY cute documentation! And, I intend to try the recipe, that is if I can hide a few bananas from Fred!
They look great!
Post a Comment