Even though I was a stay-at-home mom for nearly twenty years, it's sometimes hard for me to remember what it was like; it feels like such a long time ago--in a different lifetime. Sometimes I actually get a little panicky now, when I have a block of "free time" at home. It's as if there are so many things I want/need/should/could do that I don't know which to tackle first. I have to be careful that, in trying to make the most of my time, I don't squander it away.
Today, however, I had a plan. Part of Sarah's birthday present this year is to give her bedroom a facelift, starting with paint. I've been a little overwhelmed by the project, as her tiny room (only about 10' x 10') is so cluttered that it's daunting to think of clearing it out sufficiently to paint. I decided that today was the day I would tackle her closet, and from there moved to her dresser and *gasp!* under the bed. I figure it is always best to do this sort of cleaning when the child is away from home, as I am at greater liberty to sort things into Keep, Give Away, and Throw Away piles.
Here's how her room looked when I left at 2:45 to pick her up from school: (yes, Jessie, that is Moosey's Nylabone on the floor).
And here's what her closet looked like after my cleaning spree:
Whew! I feel like I've really accomplished something, and now the thought of painting isn't so overwhelming. Of course, there is still the carpet to pull up (hardwood underneath), the curtains to make, the dresser to paint. . . . one thing at a time.


6 comments:
Sweet!!!
I am anxious to hear how Sarah likes the clean,organized personal space!
Looks like you can begin the real work of design now.
Go for it!
You've inspired me, Denise! Gracie has been wanting a more "grown-up girl" room for a while now, and I am feeling like maybe I can tackle it now. (By the way...HELLO! I found your blog through Charlotte's. Give my love to everyone!!)
Denise you did a fabulous job. I am so impressed. I clean out the kids toys when they're asleep or not home, there is no way the kids would let me throw things away even the junky kids meal toys!
Hope Sarah appreciates and likes her new organized room.
I know what you mean about feeling panicked with what to do with your little chunk of free time. I really don't know how you working moms manage life at all because I feel like I have projects like this constantly and still don't ever get them all done!
You got a ton done! You must be feeling giddy with your progress. I love it when I can get rid of outsized clothes and toys.
I completely relate to the panicky feeling of not knowing how best to use my kid-free time. I AM a stay-at-home mom, but I feel like I have so little time to tackle things that I want to do, so little time that's free from needy kids. You chose well this time -- just look how much you accomplished! There's nothing like being able to look back and see visible results of your work. That's a recipe for a good day in my book.
I can't wait to see the progress of her room.
wow...good for you. things with purpose sometimes are the best things to do. The outcome is always better. I decided to pack everything "accessories" in my house, now they are all in a box...I think I did it subconciously, because it means, i want to move the furniture around....
Post a Comment